This rocking horse paper craft is a fun one for kids and adults alike! We have a material list, printable template and step by step directions below that you can use to make your own rocking horse. Give it a try the next time you are in the mood to create!
The next time you find yourself trying to come up with a horse themed paper art activity, keep this one in mind! This paper rocking horse is a great craft to try. The list of supplies is fairly minimal and we have included the template for the horse below.
Before you dive into the tutorial, browse through our other DIY horse crafts. We are starting to build quite a collection!
This rocking horse craft is perfect for your next rainy day arts and crafts time. It would also work well for a summer camp activity.
If you are working with very young kids (or simply pressed for time) you can speed up the craft by precutting the template pieces.
Rocking Horse Craft Supplies
Gather up the following supplies to get started on this craft:
- Cardboard paper
- Construction paper (black and red)
- Double-sided tape
- Liquid glue
- Hot glue gun
- Black marker
- Our printable template
How to Make a Paper Rocking Horse
Follow the tutorial below to make your own rocking horse. Feel free to swap out colors if you want your rocking horse to have a different look. This is an art project, so there is no wrong direction regarding the final product!
1. Print out our template. Cut out the pieces. Use the liquid glue to glue the horse pieces and rockers to the cardboard paper. Glue the saddle pieces to the red construction paper. Cut out all of these pieces.
2. Use the liquid glue or double-sided tape to connect the paper sides of the horses together. ONLY GLUE THE TOP HALVES together. The cardboard paper sides should be facing OUT.
3. Use tape or liquid glue to attach a saddle to each side of the horse.
4. For the mane, tail and hooves, you can either draw them on with the black marker or use construction paper. If you are using construction paper, attach it to the horse with liquid glue.
5. Cut out 2 small rectangular strips from the cardboard paper.
6. Use the double-sided tape or a hot glue gun to attach the two front hooves to opposite sides of one of the strips you just cut. Repeat this step with the back hooves. These cardboard paper strips will hold your horse’s hooves apart, giving it a “pop up” 3-dimensional type setup.
7. Hot glue the rockers on the very bottom of the horse’s hooves.
8. Use the marker to draw a face (nostril and mouth) on your horse.
That’s it! You’re finished!
We made a couple different versions of these rocking horse crafts. They all turned out super cute. On one we used black construction paper and on the other we drew parts on with black marker.
Your rocking horse is ready for play or display.
I hope you have fun making this craft. If you decide to give it a try, definitely let us know how it turned out! Feel free to tag us on social media if you post a picture of it. We would love to see it!