Grab some popsicle sticks, paint and glue and you can make some seriously cute popsicle stick horse crafts! This activity is perfect for summer camp, school projects, or even just a rainy day at home. Get the entire tutorial below!
Popsicle Stick Crafts
Aren’t popsicle sticks a pretty wondrous craft item? I mean, think about all of the possibilities! They are pretty strong and work well as building materials for all types of different projects. When I was a kid, we used to build everything from bridges (for our Hot Wheels cars) to horse jumps (for our model horses) with popsicle sticks.
Another thing that makes them a great choice for crafting? They are cheap! You can pick up a pack of popsicle sticks at most dollar stores, craft stores, big box stores and of course also online.
Popsicle Stick Horse Craft
We put several of these adorable popsicle stick horses together in one afternoon. The longest chunks of time were actually just the time needed to allow the paint and glue to dry. Other than those steps, the project is a rather quick one.
You can also change the appearance of your horse simply by switching the paint colors. If you have a favorite horse color or color combo, you can certainly choose those paint colors instead of the ones I used.
We have also included a printable template below that you can print and trace for the horse’s ears, mane, and nostrils.
Supplies for Popsicle Stick Horses
Gather up the following supplies to make a horse!
- Popsicle sticks
- Hot glue gun
- Liquid craft glue
- Paint brush
- Black marker
- Googly eyes
- Acrylic color black paint
- Acrylic color titanium white paint
- Acrylic color burnt sienna paint
- Kraft (cardboard) paper
- Our printable template
How to Make Popsicle Stick Horses
Follow these directions to make a popsicle stick (or a whole herd of them) for yourself!
1. Print out our template and cut each of the pieces out.
2. Glue the cut out template pieces to the kraft paper. Cut out the glued pieces together. Set these pieces aside for now.
3. Make two groupings of popsicle sticks. Line up 5 sticks and then in a second grouping, line up 8 sticks. Use the hot glue gun to glue two half sticks across each set of lined up sticks.
4. Paint the set of 8 sticks with the burnt sienna acrylic paint. Paint the set of 5 sticks with a mixture of white paint and burnt sienna paint. Set aside.
5. Paint the template pieces that you already glued together. Paint the outer ears with burnt sienna paint. Then paint the inside of the ears with a mixture of white and burnt sienna paint.
Paint the nostrils and mane black.
6. After all of the pieces have dried, it is time to glue your popsicle stick horse craft together! Use the hot glue gun to glue the two sets of painted popsicle sticks together.
7. Next, use the liquid glue to attach the mane, nostrils, ears and googly eyes.
8. Use the black marker to draw on a mouth.
Your horse craft is finished!
If you decide to give this craft a try, please let us know how it turned out for you! If you post a picture of your craft on social media, feel free to tag us! We would love to see it!