Dress up that boring pencil with this adorable craft! Use sponge paper to make a horse pencil topper. See below for a printable template and step-by-step directions to make your own.
Classic Felt Crafts
There is something so simple and classic about felt crafts. I have used felt for many different DIY projects over my lifetime and always seem to come back to them after a long break. It is an easy material to find in stores, the cost is extremely budget-friendly, and you can use it for a wide variety of crafts.
For today’s craft, I am going to show you how to make horse pencil toppers. The example that I made uses sponge paper which I would describe as a sort of hybrid between felt and foam. It is thin like felt but rigid like foam. If you cannot find the sponge paper that we used, felt should work just fine as a substitute!
Pencil toppers are a fun way to decorate a pencil or pen. They can serve as great party favors and also work well for a “make-and-take” type craft. If you work with kids in a school or camp setting, these pencil toppers would compliment any unit on farms, barnyard animals, etc.
Felt Horse Pencil Topper
See below for a supply list and a step-by-step tutorial to make these cute horses.
You can customize them by using any colors of sponge paper or felt that you want.
Let’s get crafting!
Horse Pencil Topper Supplies
Here’s a list of the supplies you will need to make these pencil toppers:
- Light pink sponge paper
- Dark pink sponge paper
- Googly eyes
- Hot glue gun
- Thin Black marker
- Our printable template
Printable template: Grab the printable template.
NOTE: This file is for PERSONAL USE ONLY. You may NOT sell the digital file or sell the printed work. You may NOT redistribute the digital file or printed work.
How to Make Horse Pencil Topper
Follow these steps to make your own horse pencil topper!
1. Print the template provided and carefully cut the pieces out using scissors.
2. Use the cut pieces as a pattern to draw similar ones on the dark pink and light pink sponge colored paper.
3. Carefully cut out the pieces of sponge paper out using scissors.
4. Using glue, attach the matching pieces together. Attach each side to leave some room in the middle of the light pink pieces for pencil insertion.
5. Glue a googly eye to each side of the horse’s head.
6. Draw a smile and a nostril on each side of the horse’s face with the black marker.
Place the horse on the eraser end of a pencil and it’s finished.
Be sure to check out the rest of our DIY projects!
If you happen to make this craft, let us know how it turned out for you! Feel free to tag us if you post a picture on social media – we love seeing our printables in action!