Browse through any bookstore and you are sure to find hundreds of books on horses. Some books will be non-fiction reads, others are fiction novels featuring horses. From technical manuals to light, anecdotal storybooks, there are plenty of books for equestrians to choose from!
Books for Equestrians
We have rounded up some great books for equestrians that you can check out for yourself or to gift to your favorite horseback rider. Book titles are broken down by different topics and subjects to help you narrow down your search!
Horse Breeds Books
Many equestrians have a deep interest in different horse breeds. They enjoy learning about different breeds, their characteristics, and histories. You can read books that cover many breeds or you can hone in on one specific breed.
Books about horse breeds:
- The Encyclopedia of Horses & Ponies by Tamsin Pickeral
- The Ultimate Horse Book by Elwyn Hartley Edwards
- Horse Color Explained: A Breeder’s Perspective by Jeanette Gower
- Horse Breeds of the World by Judith Draper and Debby Sly
- Horse Breeds: 65 Popular Horse, Pony, and Draft Horse Breeds by Bonnie L. Hendricks
Horse Care and Health Books
Having a basic understanding of how to care for and maintain their horse’s health is essential for any horse owner. It is also helpful knowledge for anyone who rides or spends time around horses regularly. Heath and care topics include nutrition, grooming, hoof care, dental care, and equine first aid.
Books about horse care and health:
- The Horse Owner’s Veterinary Handbook by Thomas Gore, DVM, and Paula Gore
- The Horse Nutrition Bible: The Comprehensive Guide to the Correct Feeding of Your Horse by Ruth Bishop
- Equine Fitness: A Program of Exercises and Routines for Your Horse by Jec Aristotle Ballou
- The Horse Conformation Handbook by Heather Smith Thomas
- Equine Massage: A Practical Guide by Jean-Pierre Hourdebaigt
- The Essential Hoof Book: The Complete Modern Guide to Horse Feet – Anatomy, Care and Health, Disease Diagnosis and Treatment by Susan Kauffmann and Christina Cline
Equine Training Books
Riders continually strive to improve their horsemanship skills. You will find many books written with this goal in mind. Check out books on horse training, natural horsemanship and groundwork.
Books about equine training:
- The Horse Training Problem Solver: Your Questions Answered About Gaits, Ground Work, and Attitude, in the Arena and on the Trail by Jessica Jahiel
- 101 Ground Training Exercises for Every Horse & Handler by Cherry Hill
- Horse Training In-Hand: A Modern Guide to Working from the Ground by Ellen Schuthof-Lesmeister
- Groundwork Training for Your Horse: Develop a Deeper Bond with Your Horse Through a Range of Exercises and Games by Lesley Bayley
- The Foaling Primer: A Month-by-Month Guide to Raising a Healthy Foal by Cynthia McFarland
Equine Behavior Books
What if you could know what your horse was thinking? That would be helpful, wouldn’t it! Unfortunately, there’s no way to actually know your horse’s thoughts… BUT understanding equine behavior can help riders to understand and communicate with their horses better!
Books about equine behavior:
- What Horses Really Want: Unlocking the Secrets to Trust, Cooperation and Reliability by Lynn Acton M.S.
- Horse Sense and the Human Heart: What Horses Can Teach Us About Trust, Bonding, Creativity and Spirituality by Adele Mccormick
- The Equine Listenology Guide – Essential horsemanship, horse body language & behaviour, groundwork, in-hand exercises & riding lessons by Elaine Heney
- Equine Behavior: A Guide for Veterinarians and Equine Scientists 2nd Edition by Paul McGreevy BVSc PhD
- Understanding the Ancient Secrets of the Horse’s Mind by Robert M. Miller
- Language Signs and Calming Signals of Horses: Recognition and Application by Rachael Draaisma
Horseback Riding Techniques Books
Equestrians frequently seek information on various riding disciplines. These disciplines include: dressage, show jumping, eventing, western riding, and more. Some riders concentrate on just one discipline while others enjoy a variety of riding types.
Books about horseback riding techniques:
- Bolder Braver Brighter: The Rider’s Guide to Living Your Best Life on Horseback by Daniel Stewart
- Centered Riding by Sally Swift
- The USDF Guide to Dressage by Jennifer O. Bryant
- Hunter Seat Equitation by George H. Morris
- 101 Jumping Exercises for Horse & Rider by Linda Allen
- Western Practice Lessons: Ride Like a Champion, Improve Communication with Your Horse, Train in a Progressive Plan, Refine Your Performance by Charlene Strickland
- Modern Eventing with Phillip Dutton: The Complete Resource for Today’s Eventer: Training, Conditioning, and Competing in All Three Phases by Phillip Dutton
Horse History and Heritage Books
Horses have played a crucial role in society for centuries! Reading about the history of horsemanship, including the development of riding styles, tack and equipment, and the role of horses in various cultures can make for interesting reading!
Books about horse history and heritage:
- The Horse, the Wheel, and Language: How Bronze-Age Riders from the Eurasian Steppes Shaped the Modern World by David W. Anthony
- The Horse in the City: Living Machines in the Nineteenth Century by Clay McShane
- Song for the Horse Nation: Horses in Native American Cultures by National Museum of the American Indian
- The War Horses: The Tragic Fate of a Million Horses in the First World War by Simon Butler
- The Horse: The Epic History of Our Noble Companion by Wendy Williams
Horse Stories and Horse Memoirs
Stories and memoirs written by fellow riders and trainers are a great choice for reading material. These books often share personal experiences, challenges, and triumphs in the equestrian world.
Popular Horse Stories and Memoirs
- The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, The Horse That Inspired a Nation by Elizabeth Letts
- Riding Home: The Power of Horses to Heal by Tim Hayes
- Chosen by a Horse: How a Broken Horse Fixed a Broken Heart by Susan Richards
- The Man Who Listens to Horses by Monty Roberts
- Horse Boy: The True Story of a Father’s Miraculous Journey to Heal His Son by Rupert Isaacson
- The Horse God Built: The Untold Story of Secretariat, the World’s Greatest Racehorse by Lawrence Scanlan
- Seabiscuit: An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand
- Man o’ War: A Legend Like Lightning by Dorothy Ours
- War Horse by Michael Morpurgo
- Marguerite, Misty and Me: A Horse Lover’s Hunt for the Hidden History of Marguerite Henry and her Chincoteague Pony by Susan Friedland
Books about Horse Competitions and Events
You can read about all kinds of different horse competitions and events! Enjoy a recap of the Olympic games or read up on the history of a famous racetrack.
Horse Competitions and Events Books
- Devon Horse Show and Country Fair by Charlene Keller Fullmer and Kathryn Elizabeth Brown
- Riding for the Team: Inspirational Stories of the USA’s Medal-Winning Equestrians and Their Horses by United States Equestrian Team Foundation
- Kentucky Derby: How the Run for the Roses Became America’s Premier Sporting Event by James Nicholson
Trail Riding and Travel Books
If you enjoy exploring the great outdoors on horseback, there are plenty of great reads available to learn more about safe trail riding and horse-friendly travel destinations.
Books about Trail Riding and Travel
- Train Your Horse for the Backcountry: A Comprehensive Guide for Getting Beyond the Round Pen by Dan Aadland
- Trail Riding: A Complete Guide by Audrey Pavia
- Trail Riding: Train, Prepare, Pack Up & Hit the Trail by Rhonda Hart Poe
- Riding Colorado III – Day and Overnight Trips with Your Horse by Margi Evans
- Have Saddle, Will Travel : Low-Impact Trail Riding and Horse Camping by Don West
- Trail Riding Arizona (Falcon Guides Trail Riding) by Wynne Brown
Fictional stories that revolve around horses and riding are a great reading choice for equestrians! These novels often capture the bond between riders and their horses and may include elements of adventure or perseverance. Sometimes equestrian fiction is loosely based on real events.
Equestrian Fiction Books
There are way too many great equestrian fiction books to list, but here are a handful:
- National Velvet by Enid Bagnold
- Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry
- Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- The Black Stallion by Walter Farley
- The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans
- The Perfect Distance by Kim Ablon Whitney
- The Horsewoman by James Patterson and Mike Lupica
- Riding Lessons: A Novel by Sara Gruen
So many book choices! We hope these horse book suggestions help you fill your kindles and library bags! Let us know if you have a favorite equestrian book that we didn’t mention. We would love to hear about it!